Beauty: BB + CC Creams

Going through the aisles through my local drugstore, Sephora and Ulta, I've noticed a lot of different creams. Not just facial creams but more of BB creams, and CC creams. What do they do exactly?

I remember when BB creams were starting to flood the beauty markets of the United States and people (mainly women) were freaking out about the B.B Cream. Of course having some experience with Asian beauty I was skeptical as I knew that BB Creams originated in Asia, and when things transfer over from Asia to the United States there are some gaps left.

Meaning, there weren't enough shades/colors for everyone.

Here's the quick run-down on B.B Creams:
  • B.B  stands for Beauty Balm, which can be considered a cream or a lotion. I've even heard it called blemish base, but generally beauty balm.
  • It's usually an all in one, meaning it's a primer, moisturizer, concealer, treats and protects.
Caving in I tried it, the benefits that BB creams is something that I couldn't pass up especially since taking care of your skin is super important.

The B.B cream that I purchased was the Maybelline Dream Fresh B.B Cream.
I was under the impression that based on the advertising that it was a cream and the consistency was thicker, you know creamy.

I was mistaken. It's not a cream it's a tinted moisturizer, basically a lotion. Not cool.


A run down of Maybelline's B.B Cream:





  • Blurs imperfections
  • Brightens
  • Evens skin-tone
  • Smoothes
  • Hydrates
  • Enhances
  • Protects with SPF 30
  • 0% oils and heavy ingredients

  • This isn't a review but I would like to say that I did not like this one bit and definitely not re-buying.

    Anyways, BB creams can be worn with or without foundation or even powder. I tend to wear my (newer) BB Cream without powder. I feel that BB or CC cream is one of those miracle foundations that you can put on when you don't have time to build up your foundation. You just put it on and wait til you have enough time to apply the rest.

    Now, CC creams is something recent and not a lot of excitement flooded the beauty markets even though I think this is more beneficial. You can wear it with or without powder and you can take out some beauty items (moisturizers, primers, concealers).

    Here's the quick rundown of CC Creams:
    • C.C stands for color correction.
    • It's a all in one: Protects, hydrate, primes, and color corrects.
    • It has a lighter texture than that of a BB Cream.
    Comparing the two creams they they have the same benefits, but address certain issues with your skin.

    BB Cream: A standard foundation/cream that protects, prime, and a moisturizer.

    CC Cream: A cream that provides color correction to pigmented or redness on your skin while providing protection, a primer, and moisturizer.

    My overall feeling is a hit or miss, but I would definitely recommend trying BB & CC creams but be hesitant and do research! I say this because the Asian brands of BB & CC creams are full coverage, high quality ingredients and less shades, and for the American brands there are high quality ingredients in them, more shades and just as expensive.

    Currently my favorite BB & CC Cream is Smashbox's ! Check out Dani's review of her favorite BB & CC Creams, here!

    Have you ever tried BB creams or CC creams?? What's your impression on them? Favorites? Recommendations?