Lifestyle: Summer Reads


Photo credit: Eli Samuelu | Edited: Dani

Here are some of the books I'm diving into this summer and also some books that I gave up on. Any recommendations?
- Dani 


Relentless- Tim S Grover

DIRECT, BLUNT, AND BRUTALLY HONEST, Grover breaks down what it takes to be unstoppable: you keep going when everyone else is giving up, you thrive under pressure, you never let your emotions make you weak. In “The Relentless 13,” he details the essential traits shared by the most intense competitors and achievers in sports, business, and all walks of life. Relentless shows you how to trust your instincts and get in the Zone; how to control and adapt to any situation; how to find your opponent’s weakness and attack. Grover gives you the same advice he gives his world-class clients—“don’t think”—and shows you that anything is possible. Packed with previously untold stories and unparalleled insight into the psyches of the most successful and accomplished athletes of our time, Relentless shows you how even the best get better . . . and how you can too.



Death in the Floating City- Tasha Alexander

Years ago, Emily's childhood nemesis, Emma Callum, scandalized polite society when she eloped to Venice with an Italian count. But now her father-in-law lies murdered, and her husband has vanished. There's no one Emma can turn to for help but Emily, who leaves at once with her husband, the dashing Colin Hargreaves, for Venice. There, her investigations take her from opulent palazzi to slums, libraries, and bordellos. Emily soon realizes that to solve the present day crime, she must first unravel a centuries old puzzle. But the past does not give up its secrets easily, especially when these revelations might threaten the interests of some very powerful people.


Leave your Mark- Aliza Licht, Donna Karan

Drawing invaluable lessons from her experience, Licht shares advice, inspiration, and a healthy dose of real talk in LEAVE YOUR MARK. She delivers personal and professional guidance for people just starting their careers and for people who are well on their way. With a particular emphasis on communicating and building your personal brand, something she knows a thing or two about, Aliza is your sassy, knowledgeable guide to the contemporary working world, where personal and professional lines are blurred and the most important thing you can have is a strong sense of self.


Unfinished Books:

I don't know how she does it - Allison Pearson

I was excited that I finally got my hands on this, I was mainly excited because I saw commercials of the film and compared it to the book. One of my biggest mistakes. I couldn't wrap my head around the book, main character or the writing style of it. The lifestyle of the main character was maybe too real and possibly a life that I want to avoid as I get older. 
I also sold this book.

The list - Karin Tanabe

I was first excited to pick up this book and read it while I was graduate school visiting, but once I got back to Wisconsin I fell out of love with it. Maybe about 35 percent into the book I started to dislike the writing style and the main character. After losing my place a few times and attempting to re-read it I had to get rid of it. I just couldn't wrap my head around it.